flashplugin

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Oct 28 12:05:53 UTC 2009

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:56:11 -0400, PJ <af.gourmet at videotron.ca> wrote:
> I have tried them all... now I have linux-f10 with
> flashplayer10 installed and all I get is an error that flashplugin.so
> cannot be started because a shared file "freetype.so.6" cannot be
> found... It's there allright and is linked to fretype.so.6.13 or some
> number like that...

In FreeBSD, libraries are linked to version numbers from
generic names, such as

	/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so@ -> libfreetype.so.9

If a program requires freetype, it requests the library
function and tells the dynamic linker if it requires a
certain version. If this version is not available, the
linker throws an error.

You can check if the link structures are correct by performing
a ll (often = ls -laFG) on the specific file in /usr/local/lib.

If the structures are not present, or a library is missing,
maybe you need to update the requested facility; in this
case, it may be neccessary to update freetype or even the
whole X subsystem...

> the fine name may not be correct as I don't have it
> in front of me... but then, where is this shared file supposed to be?

Libraries of third party software go in /usr/local/lib. For
some packages that install in the "/opt fashion", they are
located in /usr/local/<pkgname>/lib. The linker has to be
notified to search such paths.

> The setups for the flashplayer are such a ridiculous mess that I can
> only laugh...

A "modern technique" that requires me to jump around in
such a way is not worth that I am using it. Imagine you
would need to do this to enable displaying PNG images or
formatiing text paragraph-wise in a web browser...

And some funny people call "Flash" a standard! :-)

And when I think that "Flash" is mostly abused to make the
web inaccessible, to display ads (or even just images),
then... no, thank you. If a content designer (ab)uses "Flash"
to make his web site unaccessible to you (as a person
who uses the FreeBSD operating system and its programs),
he doesn't want you to see the web site, it's that simple.

I'm going to have "fun" with "Flash" soon on my 8.0-RC
testing system, so I closely follow such discussions
and the included batteries, erm, advices. :-)

> There are obviously conflicts or something screwing things
> up from other programs like gimp or ImageMagic or gstreamers or some
> such stuff...

Yes, there seems to be a defective library dependency,
mostly due to incomplete updates.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany