flashplugin

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Oct 28 12:37:03 UTC 2009

Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:56:11 -0400, PJ <af.gourmet at videotron.ca> wrote:
>> I have tried them all... now I have linux-f10 with
>> flashplayer10 installed and all I get is an error that flashplugin.so
>> cannot be started because a shared file "freetype.so.6" cannot be
>> found... It's there allright and is linked to fretype.so.6.13 or some
>> number like that...
>
> In FreeBSD, libraries are linked to version numbers from
> generic names, such as
>
> 	/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so@ -> libfreetype.so.9

In this case, the missing library is almost certainly

  /usr/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6

which works by the Linux rules -- so the library the app tries to link
against is libfreetype.so.6, which is a link to libfreetype.so.6.3.18.

I'm fairly confident that this is the case, because the FreeBSD native
Freetype library is

  /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so.9

Completely different ABI version number, unlike what the OP posted.

To the OP: that shlib comes from the linux_base-f10-10_2 package on my
machine, so unless you're missing chunks of that package you should have
it.  Use 'pkg_info -g linux_base\*' to see if any of the package contents
have got lost or scrambled.  It will probably tell you that /compat/linux/etc/ld.so.cache doesn't match the original checksum, but that's
normal, as that file is modified whenever you install any other linux shlibs.
Further more, the linux ld.so.cache file should contain a record for libfreetype:

% /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -p | grep freetype
        libfreetype.so.6 (libc6) => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6

You should be able to rebuild it by

# /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -v -n /lib /usr/lib /usr/X11R6/lib

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW