Cut/Paste with USB mouse inoperative

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Nov 10 21:03:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:33:46 -0500, Carmel <carmel_ny at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I just switched from a regular mouse to a USB mouse wireless mouse.
> The mouse works fine except that the cut/paste middle button feature is
> inoperative. The scroll feature works correctly though. I removed all
> references to 'mouse' in the /etc/rc.conf file and rebooted; however,
> nothing changed.

have you first tried the obvious workaround for nonstandard
mice with "not three" buttons, i. e. pressing the left and
the right button together to emulate the middle button? If
this works, there seems to be some misconfiguration.

I'm not using wheel mice (nor am I using cordless mice),
so I cant help much. I'm using the middle mouse button
for cut / paste (click), and for the vertical scroll
functionality (press + move).

> I then tried to change mouse port from the default:
>
> moused_port="/dev/psm0" to moused_port="/dev/usm0"
>
> That did no help either.

USB mice don't need to be setup via moused, as far as I
remember. Just comment out the moused_* entries in the
/etc/rc.conf file.

> Is there anyway to get this to work?

You could try to set it explicitely in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Mouse0"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option          "Protocol"              "Auto"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"
        Option          "EmulateWheel"
        Option          "EmulateWheelButton"    "2"
EndSection

The buttons are 1 and 3 for left and right, 2 should be
the middle one, 4 and 5 are up / down of the wheel. You
can always use the xev program to check what actually
happens when you use the different mouse buttons.

If you're relying on HAL and DBUS, well, ... :-) I think
there must be some kind of workaround to make things work
again with HAL that worked before with X, such as special
settings for mice.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany