Canon printer and TurboPrint

kristian.tenorio kristian.tenorio at gmail.com
Mon May 25 19:01:52 UTC 2009

Nice, go on using Windows, Jerry.  I will use my FreeBSD Box.
But I'd like to point out that my earlier solution is not that good.
I'm going to fix it here, Jerry and I'm sure this'll be interesting for
Chandan.

Throughout this reply I will give two solutions: an improvement of tpr and
lpd-compatibility.

The tpr script has a major drawback: It has low performance and very low
printing quality.
Another drawback is that it'll not work in some (or all, I don't know) GNOME
programs.
I improved performance a little in this new version and this one has normal
printing quality.
So here are the steps:

0) Follow the steps 0-7 of my earlier document, if you have still not done
that stuff.
1) The step 8 is the same with the difference that the script is updated.
Changes are in italic.

#!/bin/bash
F=/compat/linux/usr/bin/tpprint
P=Canon_PIXMA_iP8500 ; D=/dev/ulpt0
if [ $1 ]; then S=$1 ; else S=- ; fi
gs -q -sDEVICE=pcx24b -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -r200 \
-sOutputFile=$HOME/tpr.pcx -c 3000000 setvmthreshold -f $S
$F -d$P $HOME/tpr.pcx $HOME/tpr.job ; rm $HOME/tpr.pcx
cat $HOME/tpr.job >$D ; rm $HOME/tpr.job

2) Do step 9 found in the first part of my earlier document and print using
the same steps.

NOW THE NEW SOLUTION
This solution will bring you less problems, no need of commands to print and
high-quality.

0) Follow the steps 0-7 of my earlier document, if you have still haven't.
1) Enable the lpd daemon if it isn't enabled in your system by adding this
line to /etc/rc.conf (as root)
lpd_enable="YES"
2) Add the following lines to /etc/printcap as root (this is an example of
the Pixma iP8500 of Chandan).

ip8500|canon|lp|usb|pixma|Canon Pixma iP8500 USB Printer:\
             :sh:lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
             :if=/usr/local/bin/if_ip8500:\
             :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ip8500:

The printer will be named ip8500. The other values in the first line are
called alias names.
Notice the lp alias (in bold).  This will set up your printer as the default
one.
Delete that alias if you don't want that printer to be the default.
The lp variable in the next line will point to your printer's device.
The if variable will refer to an input filter that doesn't exist yet.
The sd variable will point to a directory for spooling that we don't have
created yet.

3) Now we will do a simple PostScript input filter.  This one will not
process plain text.
If you want to do a better one refer to the Printing section in the FreeBSD
HandBook.
Do it with your favourite text editor --I recommend using vi though.

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/gs -q -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pcx24b \
-r600 -sOutputFile=- -c 3000000 setvmthreshold -f - | \
/compat/linux/usr/bin/tpprint -dCanon_PIXMA_iP8500 - - && exit 0 || exit 2

If you want to print using only black ink, use pcxgray instead of pcx24b
If you want to change the resolution change the 600 to whatever you want.
I don't recommend using less than 200.  Notice the place where the driver is
set.
Name the script if_ip8500, save it in your home dir. and make it executable
by typing in your shell.
chmod 755 if_ip8500

4) It is time to copy the input filter to the bin directory.  Enter as root
and type the following command:
cp /home/YOUR_USERNAME/if_ip8500 /usr/local/bin

5) Now we have to do the spooling directory for the Canon P. iP8500.  As
root type the following:

mkdir /var/spool/lpd/ip8500
chown daemon:daemon /var/spool/lpd/ip8500
chmod 770 /var/spool/lpd/ip8500

6) Restart your system and enjoy it.  You simply have to send your job from
your app. through lpr.
Remember, if you get a gray square, it is possibly that you haven't bought
TurboPrint, it's not my problem.