Advices for a jailed MySQL server

Martin Turgeon freebsd at optiksecurite.com
Wed May 6 18:49:38 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to build a new dedicated MySQL server. I will be using
FreeBSD 7.2-REL. My plan is to jail the latest version of MySQL 5.0 and
to put the MySQL data outside the jail. My objective is to be able to
update MySQL without down time. My objective would be to create another
up to date MySQL jail and when I'm ready to make the switch, just point
the new jail to the data outside the jail using something like a nullfs
mount.

Is someone using something like this?

Did someone have any advice about how to update a MySQL server without
down time?

Did someone have any advice on how to tune a dedicated MySQL server
running FreeBSD 7.2 (Dual core Xeon, 4G RAM, mirror RAID on a PERC5
controler 2x146G 15K)?

Thanks everyone for sharing your precious knowledge :)

Martin