Autofs howto

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed May 6 19:18:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 06:17:29PM +0000, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I'm going to take another stab at this.
>
> I'm wondering if I can use autofs on FreeBSD.

There is a libautofs library and a mount_autofs program in my 7.2 source
tree, but I'm not sure what it is, since it's not installed or built on
my amd64 box.

> Last time I asked the
> question someone said I need amd, which I found rather cryptic.  I
> later discovered that there is a amd-utils in ports and an amd
> directory in contrib under source.
>
> So, is amd a kernel module?  A separate program I compile?

It is a program that is part of the base system. See it's manual page;
'man amd'

From amd(8): The amd utility is a daemon that automatically mounts file
systems whenever a file or directory within that file system is
accessed.  File systems are automatically unmounted when they appear to
be quiescent.

Roland