going from cvs to svnq

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Tue Mar 31 19:18:11 PDT 2009

Andrew Wright wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
>> I've finally decided that it's way past time that I switched from
>> using cvs for
>> my home archive (currently /home/ncvs) to using subversion.  I'm
>> trying to hunt
>> down a web page that might give a set of rules to help moving things.
>> I've
>
> It appears that you may be labouring under the assumption that
> svn is a potential _client_ replacement that will read a CVS repo.

I wasn't laboring under a misapprehension, I asked if they were compatible, I
wasn't trying to say they were.  Thanks, though, for the URL, I wasn't aware of
cvs2svn.

> It doesn't do this.
>
> You can convert a repository using the tools available at:
>     http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/
> but afterwards you are using svn exclusively -- there is no ability
> to mix and match.  After the conversion, both client and server
> tools will change.
>
> The primary advantage of using svn is that the _server_ uses a
> different protocol to track objects.

I think that's unclear, you can't mean that just having the protocol be
different, that's not that much of a win.  Having svn track extra things, like
directories, that I'd think was a win.

  Directory management, for
> instance, is a track-able change, as opposed to the CVS strategy
> of directory management through side effect.

I'd have said, for cvs, more like directory non-management.  Was nice to simply
fix things, if you didn't have worry about others helping you out, but keeping
history could be a lot more of a problem.  Not impossible, but difficult.  I
used to be a company's release engineer, under cvs, but never svn.  I just don't
know svn a fraction as well as I know cvs.

What I don't know is, I use cvsup all the time, but when I switch to svn, what
does the "cvsup" job of tracking an archive (not tracking the sources, I mean
the archive)?  Does svn do it all itself?  If so, I can find out how, I just
want to know if that's how its done.  If not, what's the general tool used to
track the freebsd archive, so I can investigate it?