ftp with .... ?

Vasadi I. Claudiu Florin claudiu.vasadi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 14:15:44 PDT 2009

Hello guys,

Here's the deal:
I have a samba server on a FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE running with mod-acl (or
whatever it's called). The folder it is connected to (let's call it
"share") has acl enabled. Thus all data written with samba (from my xp
box) automagicly inharits permision of parent folder (root:wheel). Perfect
till now.

This is were the catch catches up. I also want ftp access to that folder
(a master ftp account that only I will know) but also want it with acl
"features"; I mean all files written by/through ftp will (or must) have
inherited parent directory permisions, leaving samba full permisions over
files/folder in that directory (as stated by acl).

Here's the curent setup
the "share" folder (actually "/mnt")
# file: /mnt/
# owner: root
# group: wheel
user::rwx
user:smbadmin:rwx
user:ftpadmin:rwx
group::---
mask::rwx
other::---

As you can see, the owner is root:wheel. The samba master acount is
"smbadmin" with rwx privileges.
Now, I wish to employ another username, also with rwx privileges, for a
master ftp account (say "ftpadmin"), but all files writen by this user
*will* eventually end up on disk as root:wheel, not ftpadmin:group.

What I've done so far.
Read a bit about chmod +s and by "chmod g+s" managed to ensure that
whoever writes files to that folder, end up belonging to wheel group.
Didn't manage on the other hand to employ the same thing for the user.
Files are owned by "ftpadmin"

Of course I could add these accounts into one big group, but then, were
would all the fun be ? :)
And also, I would have a terrible time when say another ftp user would be
required to have some sort or acces but diferent from that group I
previously mentioned (say r--).

Now, from what I tinkered about I need some sort of control "agent"
between the actual ftp and the disk (something similar to mod-acl of samba
maybe?) or force the files that are to be written to disk to change theyre
usr:group by some chmod-similar manner.

Please point me in the right direction. A link, an ideea ... something. Am
capable of doing it myself, no need for "please do this for me"..nono.

So ?