X fails to start

Paul B. Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 10:16:51 UTC 2009

On 7/2/09, Da Rock <rock_on_the_web at hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
> (WW) intel(0): drmDropMaster failed: Unknown error: -1
>
> Because of my communications issues I've been trying to resolve this myself-
> with no luck. I've been trying to get some more info on this, and it seems
> to be a huge bug on a lot of linux distros, but noone has a clear response-
> it all seems to be a secondary issue to whatever their problem is. SO, I
> then tried to find out how to debug, and ran into ANOTHER issue. I've
> rebuilt xorg-server with debug (ccflags='-O0 -g3' as per xorg wiki) with no
> real success, so then I moved to dri and hit this wall:
>
> ../../../src/mesa/main/dispatch.o(.text+0xbb90):../../../src/mesa/glapi/glapitemp.h:4951:
> first defined here
> ../../../src/mesa/x86/glapi_x86.o(.text+0x4130): In function
> `glPointParameteri':
> ../../../src/mesa/x86/glapi_x86.S:1270: multiple definition of
> `glPointParameteri'
> ../../../src/mesa/main/dispatch.o(.text+0xc8e0):../../../src/mesa/glapi/glapitemp.h:5256:
> first defined here
> ../../../src/mesa/x86/glapi_x86.o(.text+0x4140): In function
> `glPointParameteriv':
> ../../../src/mesa/x86/glapi_x86.S:1271: multiple definition of
> `glPointParameteriv'
> ../../../src/mesa/main/dispatch.o(.text+0xc940):../../../src/mesa/glapi/glapitemp.h:5266:
> first defined here
> mklib: Installing libGL.so.1 libGL.so in ../../../lib
> mv: rename libGL.so.1 to ../../../lib/libGL.so.1: No such file or directory
> gmake[2]: *** [../../../lib/libGL.so] Error 1
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/ports/graphics/dri/work/Mesa-7.4.4/src/glx/x11'
> gmake[1]: *** [subdirs] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/graphics/dri/work/Mesa-7.4.4/src'
> gmake: *** [default] Error 1
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/dri.
>
> The various warnings are in the gallon, but my main problem lay with the
> mklib error. So I tried to simply copy or rename libGL.so(.1) to make it
> happy (I couldn't find references in the Makefile(s) after half an hour of
> examination, so I took a little shortcut). It did, but then the gallon of
> warnings came back to hit me again- but harder, and so I get another stop in
> the build.
>
> So now I can't get dri back, I can't get X working and I'm losing my
> patience fast! :)
>
> What I can't figure out is what started all this in the first place, because
> it was working. Unfortunately I was in the midst of several things happening
> at once, so I can't remember if I rebuilt the kernel, upgraded xorg or both
> before X failed. As far as I can tell that is only secondary at any rate, as
> I need to prevent this happening again during upgrades/updates whatever.
>
> My main questions here are:
>
> 1. How do debug Xorg? The debug flags haven't provided much at all so far

You can still use xf86-video-vesa even without dri.
Debug flags are useful only if Xorg crashed and dropped core.

> 2. Why can I get the busid failure and Xorg keep going? How do I force it?
> Where is this problem lying (kmod, driver, server)? Is it critical?

What kernel modules are loaded? What version of server, Mesa, drivers
are installed
and how are they installed?

> 3. Is the MIT-SHM error the cause of my problems? (Or a contributor)

You are using custom kernel without sysv* modules. Not a good idea for X.

> 4. What do I need to do about the Mesa library? Is this related to the core
> issue? Is this a known bug in the port build?

Your environment is highly polluted.

--
Paul