X fails to start

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 2 11:13:33 UTC 2009

> [...]
> >
> > Because of my communications issues I've been trying to resolve this myself-
> > with no luck. I've been trying to get some more info on this, and it seems
> > to be a huge bug on a lot of linux distros, but noone has a clear response-
> > it all seems to be a secondary issue to whatever their problem is. SO, I
> > then tried to find out how to debug, and ran into ANOTHER issue. I've
> > rebuilt xorg-server with debug (ccflags='-O0 -g3' as per xorg wiki) with no
> > real success, so then I moved to dri and hit this wall:
> >
> > ../../../src/mesa/main/dispatch.o(.text+0xbb90):../../../src/mesa/glapi/glapitemp.h:4951:
> > first defined here
> > ../../../src/mesa/x86/glapi_x86.o(.text+0x4130): In function
> > `glPointParameteri':
> > ../../../src/mesa/x86/glapi_x86.S:1270: multiple definition of
> > `glPointParameteri'
> > ../../../src/mesa/main/dispatch.o(.text+0xc8e0):../../../src/mesa/glapi/glapitemp.h:5256:
> > first defined here
> > ../../../src/mesa/x86/glapi_x86.o(.text+0x4140): In function
> > `glPointParameteriv':
> > ../../../src/mesa/x86/glapi_x86.S:1271: multiple definition of
> > `glPointParameteriv'
> > ../../../src/mesa/main/dispatch.o(.text+0xc940):../../../src/mesa/glapi/glapitemp.h:5266:
> > first defined here
> > mklib: Installing libGL.so.1 libGL.so in ../../../lib
> > mv: rename libGL.so.1 to ../../../lib/libGL.so.1: No such file or directory
> > gmake[2]: *** [../../../lib/libGL.so] Error 1
> > gmake[2]: Leaving directory
> > `/usr/ports/graphics/dri/work/Mesa-7.4.4/src/glx/x11'
> > gmake[1]: *** [subdirs] Error 1
> > gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/graphics/dri/work/Mesa-7.4.4/src'
> > gmake: *** [default] Error 1
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/dri.
> >
> > The various warnings are in the gallon, but my main problem lay with the
> > mklib error. So I tried to simply copy or rename libGL.so(.1) to make it
> > happy (I couldn't find references in the Makefile(s) after half an hour of
> > examination, so I took a little shortcut). It did, but then the gallon of
> > warnings came back to hit me again- but harder, and so I get another stop in
> > the build.
> >
> > So now I can't get dri back, I can't get X working and I'm losing my
> > patience fast! :)
> >
> > What I can't figure out is what started all this in the first place, because
> > it was working. Unfortunately I was in the midst of several things happening
> > at once, so I can't remember if I rebuilt the kernel, upgraded xorg or both
> > before X failed. As far as I can tell that is only secondary at any rate, as
> > I need to prevent this happening again during upgrades/updates whatever.
> >
> > My main questions here are:
> >
> > 1. How do debug Xorg? The debug flags haven't provided much at all so far
> > (maybe I've done it wrong?)
>
> You can still use xf86-video-vesa even without dri.
> Debug flags are useful only if Xorg crashed and dropped core.

Nuts! :(

> > 2. Why can I get the busid failure and Xorg keep going? How do I force it?
> > Where is this problem lying (kmod, driver, server)? Is it critical?
>
> What kernel modules are loaded? What version of server, Mesa, drivers
> are installed
> and how are they installed?

KMods:
i915.ko
drm.ko

Xorg Server: 1.6.1 (in the Xorg log)
Mesa (not entirely sure now, was current I believe though- I'll have to wait and see once I can build again...)
Drivers: (installed or used?) used intel- xorg ports. Incidentally vesa is available, and is failover in the conf, but it doesn't get there. Its also installed via ports.

> > 3. Is the MIT-SHM error the cause of my problems? (Or a contributor)
>
> You are using custom kernel without sysv* modules. Not a good idea for X.

Interesting. Isn't this standard in GENERIC? I have built a kernel, but only GENERIC, which I would have thought had the standard kit in it that comes with a distro on disk.

> > 4. What do I need to do about the Mesa library? Is this related to the core
> > issue? Is this a known bug in the port build?
>
> Your environment is highly polluted.

eh? I could use some explanation on this, especially considering my last remedy used in this communication. As per my last comment in the OP, I've run portsclean -C and then removed all ports (something I have the luxury of doing being a new system install), and started again- with the same result. What exactly do I have to clean up to remove the pollution? (This is no reflection on your comment, I'm merely at a loss to know what could be getting in the way here given my situation)