X fails to start

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 2 06:51:10 UTC 2009

I'm still having intermittent troubles with getting the freebsd servers seeing my mail servers for my normal maillist subscription, so if I could be cc'd...

I'm struggling to get my head around a reasonably severe problem with Xorg - I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same. I've installed Xorg, got it working, started to refine some settings with the wm and other apps for it, and then Xorg refuses to work.

My xorg log has only a couple of errors, for reference I'm using the i915 ko with drm:

startx:
X.Org X Server 1.6.1
Release Date: 2009-4-14
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p1 i386
(EE) [drm] Could not set DRM device bus ID.
(EE) intel(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
Setting master
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support

Xorg.0.log:
drmGetBusid returned ''
(II) [drm] DRM interface version 1.0
(EE) [drm] Could not set DRM device bus ID.
(EE) intel(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI
(WW) intel(0): drmDropMaster failed: Unknown error: -1
(WW) intel(0): PRB0_CTL (0x0001f001) indicates ring buffer enabled
(WW) intel(0): Existing errors found in hardware state.
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
(WW) intel(0): drmDropMaster failed: Unknown error: -1

Because of my communications issues I've been trying to resolve this myself- with no luck. I've been trying to get some more info on this, and it seems to be a huge bug on a lot of linux distros, but noone has a clear response- it all seems to be a secondary issue to whatever their problem is. SO, I then tried to find out how to debug, and ran into ANOTHER issue. I've rebuilt xorg-server with debug (ccflags='-O0 -g3' as per xorg wiki) with no real success, so then I moved to dri and hit this wall:

../../../src/mesa/main/dispatch.o(.text+0xbb90):../../../src/mesa/glapi/glapitemp.h:4951: first defined here
../../../src/mesa/x86/glapi_x86.o(.text+0x4130): In function `glPointParameteri':
../../../src/mesa/x86/glapi_x86.S:1270: multiple definition of `glPointParameteri'
../../../src/mesa/main/dispatch.o(.text+0xc8e0):../../../src/mesa/glapi/glapitemp.h:5256: first defined here
../../../src/mesa/x86/glapi_x86.o(.text+0x4140): In function `glPointParameteriv':
../../../src/mesa/x86/glapi_x86.S:1271: multiple definition of `glPointParameteriv'
../../../src/mesa/main/dispatch.o(.text+0xc940):../../../src/mesa/glapi/glapitemp.h:5266: first defined here
mklib: Installing libGL.so.1 libGL.so in ../../../lib
mv: rename libGL.so.1 to ../../../lib/libGL.so.1: No such file or directory
gmake[2]: *** [../../../lib/libGL.so] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/graphics/dri/work/Mesa-7.4.4/src/glx/x11'
gmake[1]: *** [subdirs] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/graphics/dri/work/Mesa-7.4.4/src'
gmake: *** [default] Error 1
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/dri.

The various warnings are in the gallon, but my main problem lay with the mklib error. So I tried to simply copy or rename libGL.so(.1) to make it happy (I couldn't find references in the Makefile(s) after half an hour of examination, so I took a little shortcut). It did, but then the gallon of warnings came back to hit me again- but harder, and so I get another stop in the build.

So now I can't get dri back, I can't get X working and I'm losing my patience fast! :)

What I can't figure out is what started all this in the first place, because it was working. Unfortunately I was in the midst of several things happening at once, so I can't remember if I rebuilt the kernel, upgraded xorg or both before X failed. As far as I can tell that is only secondary at any rate, as I need to prevent this happening again during upgrades/updates whatever.

My main questions here are:

1. How do debug Xorg? The debug flags haven't provided much at all so far (maybe I've done it wrong?)

2. Why can I get the busid failure and Xorg keep going? How do I force it? Where is this problem lying (kmod, driver, server)? Is it critical?

3. Is the MIT-SHM error the cause of my problems? (Or a contributor)

4. What do I need to do about the Mesa library? Is this related to the core issue? Is this a known bug in the port build?

I've considered manually debugging the drmGetBusID failure, but I don't exactly relish the idea of going through that much code. I could easily follow the procedures in the wiki, but I'd rather go through ports.

I've also just completely removed xorg and started again with the cflags, but it has failed again at the dri port.

I hope someone help here... :/

Cheers