Quantum tape drive

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Wed Jan 28 14:34:55 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 05:06:55PM -0500, Jaime wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Wojciech Puchar
> >
> > TERMINATION PROBLEM
>
> I was thinking of that...  I shut down the server and checked the
> usual suspects (terminator on the cable, SCSI IDs, etc.) but didn't
> find anything out of place.  Also, the same command in Knoppix (Linux)
> using /dev/st0 (the Linux equivalent of /dev/sa0) appeared to write to
> the tape and then list the items on that tape.  I didn't see how long
> it would take, though.  In retrospect, maybe I should have let that
> run longer.  :(
>
> How certain are you that its a termination problem?

I'm tending to "certainly" agree.

There are other things to consider as well, such as narrow, wide, ultra,
and ultra-LVDT. Active termination and passive termination.

Is there termination at the SCSI card?

You said there was termination on the cable, but is there also on-board
termination on the drive?

No other drive on the bus has termination enabled?

One terminator on each end of the bus, no more, no less.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net