Quantum tape drive

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Jan 28 14:47:21 PST 2009

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Jaime wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Wojciech Puchar
> <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
>>> When reading from the tape using tar (bsdtar from FreeBSD 6.2 -- and,
>>> yes, I'm preparing a cvsup as I write this :) ) the tape drive's Alarm
>>> and Fault LEDs are lit up and then camcontrol devlist no longer shows
>>> the tape drive.
>>
>> TERMINATION PROBLEM
>
> I was thinking of that...  I shut down the server and checked the
> usual suspects (terminator on the cable, SCSI IDs, etc.) but didn't
> find anything out of place.  Also, the same command in Knoppix (Linux)
> using /dev/st0 (the Linux equivalent of /dev/sa0) appeared to write to
> the tape and then list the items on that tape.  I didn't see how long
> it would take, though.  In retrospect, maybe I should have let that
> run longer.  :(
>
> How certain are you that its a termination problem?

It could just be a bad drive or tape, but termination was the first
thing that came to mind for me also.  The drive giving a fault on a read
like that suggests it.  Pardon the obvious, but remember that
termination is needed at both ends of the SCSI bus, and only at the
ends.

There's also the issue of terminator power, which may have been supplied
by the old drive but not by the new one.