After freebsd-update - all went wrong.

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Dec 24 14:35:47 UTC 2009

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 14:06:48 +0000, Marwan Sultan <dead_line at hotmail.com> wrote:
>  well, I have fixed problem two by installing back my custom kernel.
>  but the system still ignores the "defaultroute" command in rc.conf
>  this is why we have manuly added to the rc.local

Is this possibly a spelling error? The setting in rc.conf
is defaultrouter="..." - routeR.

>  But eventho it shouldnot touch rc.conf right?

Correct. The rc.conf file is one of the few ones that
shouldn't be in the scope of freebsd-update or mergemaster
(if you update by source).

>  my rc.local now has
>
> route add default 66.xx.x.x
> ifconfig em0 66.xx.x.x netmask 255.255.255.255 alias

> If i take it off, system will not have any defaultroute
> anymore although its in rc.conf
>
> defaultrouter="66.xx.x.x"
> hostname="xxxxxx.com"
> ifconfig_em0="inet 66.xx.x.x netmask 255.255.255.0"

Your setting in rc.conf is spelled correctly (see above).

Could you try what happens if you start the inet subsystem
manually (/etc/rc.d/netif and /etc/rc.d/routing)? The
last one reads defaultrouter="..." from rc.conf.

As far as I see, the settings in rc.conf are completely
valid, and should work. If this is still the "old" rc.conf
(that worked before), the services activated in there
should be started, too...

You could additionally check /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts
for any malformed entries. I think /etc/hosts could be
altered / overwritten by freebsd-update?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany