After freebsd-update - all went wrong.

Marwan Sultan dead_line at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 24 14:06:49 UTC 2009

Hi Poly,

 Its very short story,

 my system is on FreeBSD 7.2- P4

 and everything works great. Yes I have custom kernel, mainly for quotas.

 I have run freebsd-update fetch and install, I forgot its only for generic kernel.

 However, after the freebsd-update fetch/install done, i restarted my server

 then its down. Down means:

  its not connected to the internet because

 1- it couldnot read the default route and couldnot recognize its ip address.

 2- restored to the orginal GENERIC kernel.

 well, I have fixed problem two by installing back my custom kernel.

 but the system still ignores the "defaultroute" command in rc.conf

 this is why we have manuly added to the rc.local

 No, I have not overwrite any files, and everything works great, until i ran freebsd-update

 on my custom kernel by mistake.

 But eventho it shouldnot touch rc.conf right?

 my rc.local now has

route add default 66.xx.x.x
ifconfig em0 66.xx.x.x netmask 255.255.255.255 alias

If i take it off, system will not have any defaultroute anymore although its in rc.conf

defaultrouter="66.xx.x.x"
hostname="xxxxxx.com"
ifconfig_em0="inet 66.xx.x.x netmask 255.255.255.0"

 Thank you.