After freebsd-update - all went wrong.

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Dec 24 13:46:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 13:31:13 +0000, Marwan Sultan <dead_line at hotmail.com> wrote:
> i'm on FreeBSD 7.2-R p4
> I just applied :
> # freebsd-update fetch
> # freebsd-update install
> with no problems

Later you mentioned that you run a custom kernel,
especially for inclusion of quota. When using the
freebsd-update tool, you have to pay extra attention
to custom kernel - it usually just works for the
GENERIC kernel without any modifications, that's
what this tool primarily is intended for.

> After i restarted the server
> i lost my ssh connection, server went down!

Server down OR "just" no connection?

> I have contacted the hosting company, and after investigation
> they informed me that for some reason system is ignoring the
> "defaulroute" command in rc.conf
> So they had manualy add the defaultroute to rc.local !!

The use of rc.local is still possible, but deprecated;
it's mostly a means for backward compatibility.

Furthermore, I don't see a "defaulroute" setting (not
command per se) in /etc/rc.conf (and /etc/defaults/rc.conf
for completeness); only things found are:

defaultrouter="NO"              # Set to default gateway (or NO).
ipv6_defaultrouter="NO"         # Set to IPv6 default gateway (or NO).
#ipv6_defaultrouter="2002:c058:6301::"  # Use this for 6to4 (RFC 3068)

Is this what you mean?

Are you sure you didn't overwrite any important configuration
file, like /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf or even rc.conf?

> And after this small workaround, I found out users quota is not running
> So i figured that its ignoring the default kernel.

No, the GENERIC kernel just doesn't include quota
functionality.

> I have recompiled my custom kernel..
> Now quotas working!

Of course, yours seems to include it.

> and system still
> FreeBSD xxx.com 7.2-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p4 #0: Fri Oct  2 12:21:39 UTC 2009

What should it be instead?

It would be nice if you could tell which version you
came from, and which version you updated to.

Have you updated your src/ subtree, especially for the
kernel sources? Seems that even if your system has been
updated with freebsd-update to 8, your kernel has been
compiled from the 7.2-p4 sources...

> it didnot even apply the patchs !!

Patches go into the src/ subtree when updating it, e. g.
with "make update" in /usr/src (using csup or cvsup).

> and still reading the default route from rc.local

It would be helpful to see some config file examples.
Maybe rc.local overrides things that should already work?

> This shouldnot happen with freebsd-update tool !! what the heck!

Wrong use of the right tool maybe?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany