After freebsd-update - all went wrong.

Marwan Sultan dead_line at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 24 13:31:16 UTC 2009

Hello FreeBSD people.

i'm on FreeBSD 7.2-R p4

I just applied :

# freebsd-update fetch
# freebsd-update install

with no problems

After i restarted the server

i lost my ssh connection, server went down!

I have contacted the hosting company, and after investigation

they informed me that for some reason system is ignoring the

"defaulroute" command in rc.conf

So they had manualy add the defaultroute to rc.local !!

And after this small workaround, I found out users quota is not running

So i figured that its ignoring the default kernel.

I have recompiled my custom kernel..

Now quotas working!

and system still

FreeBSD xxx.com 7.2-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p4 #0: Fri Oct  2 12:21:39 UTC 2009

it didnot even apply the patchs !!

and still reading the default route from rc.local

Please any help is appreciate it, this is a commercial use server

you can say "im eating shit now"

This shouldnot happen with freebsd-update tool !! what the heck!

- Marwan Sultan