8.0 installation doesn't contain X distributions

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Thu Dec 10 15:00:47 UTC 2009

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Reed Loefgren <rloefgren at forethought.net>wrote:
>

>>> Exactly. Most desktop users want a working system in the minimum of time
>>> (Can't blame them for that).
>>> Even with packages, we cannot beat an image-based distro, esp. since it
>>> will also provide all essential default settings.
>>>

>> If I might butt in: If the user-to-be wants a working system in 5 minutes
>> could there be a link on the FreeBSD homepage itself directing them to
>> PC-BSD (or similar) .ISOs? Perhaps with an addendum that, while they can
>> download and install FreeBSD 'straight up, no chaser' using an image from
>> the FreeBSD page, it *isn't* going to be 5 minutes and perhaps a derivative
>> version might be their best bet.
>>
>> Just a thought,

> After trying installation of FreeBSD 8.0 Release ( before RCs ) without
> success
>
> ( Gnome : Some menu elements are not working , for example shutdown ,
>                it is becoming necessary to open a terminal and explicitly
> write
>                shutdown -p now , it is not possible to every thing by
> terminal or GUI elements ) ,

You are probably missing policykit/hal settings.  Have a look at:

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html

> ( KDE4 : Konsole not working because after a short show of terminal window ,
> it is
>              disappearing , it is not possible to do every thing without
> Konsole ) ,

Haven't used KDE4 in FreeBSD for a while so I can't really say. I have
built some packages but not used them yet.

> ( XFCE - It is becoming rock solid due to key board insensitivity , on the
> same computer
>               many operating systems are working ,
>                from FreeBSD to many Linux distributions  ) .
>

> After those attempts , I have installed DesktopBSD 1.7 . I can say that it
> is a WONDERFUL
> FreeBSD distribution based on FreeBSD 7.2 and KDE4 where FreeBSD 7.2 from
> www.FreeBSD.org can not be compared with its beatiness .

You do realize of course that DesktopBSD *is* FreeBSD with many of these
settings and defaults pre-applied for you?
Obviously the DesktopBSD developers do a wonderful job on it, but it is
also possible to build this yourself using FreeBSD and ports. It will
take more time, it will be more tedious and you will learn a lot of
stuff.  And you will have a lot more control of what gets installed and
how the final system behaves.  Obviously these are less important
factors, if the purpose is to have a desktop system as quickly as possible.

> Now , I am waiting FreeBSD 8.x from  www.FreeBSD.org , where x > 0 , with
> the hope that it will be possible to have an easily usable FreeBSD
> distribution .

You may also want to give PC-BSD a try.