8.0 installation doesn't contain X distributions

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 14:24:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Reed Loefgren <rloefgren at forethought.net>wrote:

>> Exactly. Most desktop users want a working system in the minimum of time
>> (Can't blame them for that).
>> Even with packages, we cannot beat an image-based distro, esp. since it
>> will also provide all essential default settings.
>>

> If I might butt in: If the user-to-be wants a working system in 5 minutes
> could there be a link on the FreeBSD homepage itself directing them to
> PC-BSD (or similar) .ISOs? Perhaps with an addendum that, while they can
> download and install FreeBSD 'straight up, no chaser' using an image from
> the FreeBSD page, it *isn't* going to be 5 minutes and perhaps a derivative
> version might be their best bet.
>
> Just a thought,

After trying installation of FreeBSD 8.0 Release ( before RCs ) without
success

( Gnome : Some menu elements are not working , for example shutdown ,
               it is becoming necessary to open a terminal and explicitly
write
               shutdown -p now , it is not possible to every thing by
terminal or GUI elements ) ,
( KDE4 : Konsole not working because after a short show of terminal window ,
it is
             disappearing , it is not possible to do every thing without
Konsole ) ,

( XFCE - It is becoming rock solid due to key board insensitivity , on the
same computer
              many operating systems are working ,
               from FreeBSD to many Linux distributions  ) .

After those attempts , I have installed DesktopBSD 1.7 . I can say that it
is a WONDERFUL
FreeBSD distribution based on FreeBSD 7.2 and KDE4 where FreeBSD 7.2 from
www.FreeBSD.org can not be compared with its beatiness .

Now , I am waiting FreeBSD 8.x from  www.FreeBSD.org , where x > 0 , with
the hope that it will be possible to have an easily usable FreeBSD
distribution .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk