8.0 installation doesn't contain X distributions

Reed Loefgren rloefgren at forethought.net
Thu Dec 10 14:01:41 UTC 2009

> Exactly. Most desktop users want a working system in the minimum of time
> (Can't blame them for that).
> Even with packages, we cannot beat an image-based distro, esp. since it
> will also provide all essential default settings.

If I might butt in: If the user-to-be wants a working system in 5
minutes could there be a link on the FreeBSD homepage itself directing
them to PC-BSD (or similar) .ISOs? Perhaps with an addendum that, while
they can download and install FreeBSD 'straight up, no chaser' using an
image from the FreeBSD page, it *isn't* going to be 5 minutes and
perhaps a derivative version might be their best bet.

Just a thought,