8.0 installation doesn't contain X distributions

Mike L jackoroses at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 14:28:05 UTC 2009

all I gotta say is I just spent 3 days compiling gnome2 for fbsd..
It shouldn't take that long or be that hard/complicated.
Most of it was stupid crap that I would of thought should of been taken care
of by now.
Applications complaining about which version of python is installed,
complaining about needing newer versions of this or that and stopping the
process. Than off to find the proper port to install (and having to use
FORCE PKG REGISTER) to appease the original install. Back to the gnome
install let it run again until the next application configuration screen.
You can't just do a make config in the meta port for the entire process..
That would be too easy..

Last time I did a Xorg installed I just ended up doing a pkg_add because I
grew tired of the problems I kept having with ports griping about this and
that being outdated or whatever. This time I wanted to see the process
through and figure I might learn a thing or two.
I digress though...
My intention with fbsd wasn't for a desktop though; but why install linux to
get a feel for X(org) when we can do it on fbsd? Yet why should it feel like
I'm a circus poodle trying to make it work?