Fetching directories inclusive subdirectories on HTTP server via fetch or othe FreeBSD-own tools?

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Wed Apr 1 09:32:57 PDT 2009

On 1/4/09 17:07, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I run into a problem I can not solve. I need to fetch a whole
> directory tree from a public remote site. The top level directory and
> its subdirectories are accessible via ftp:// and http:// so I tried
> fetch, but fetch does only retrieve data on file basis and does not
> copy a whole directory tree recursively. The remote site does not
> offer sftp/sshd for that purpose.
>
> Is there a simple way to perform such a task with FreeBSD's own tools
> (I try to avoid installing 'wget' and sibblings)? I need to keep it
> simple, task should be performed via cronjob.
>
> Please eMail me.

Without writing a script to parse the output of fetch I dont think its
possible (fetch the index via http, parse for dirs, decend into dir,
rinse and repeat.)  Looking at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/hubs/mirror-howto.html which I
would expect to suggest FreeBSDs own tools, suggests various ports to use.

Vince