Fetching directories inclusive subdirectories on HTTP server via fetch or othe FreeBSD-own tools?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Apr 1 10:03:25 PDT 2009

O. Hartmann <ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
 > I run into a problem I can not solve. I need to fetch a whole directory
 > tree from a public remote site. The top level directory and its
 > subdirectories are accessible via ftp:// and http:// so I tried fetch,
 > but fetch does only retrieve data on file basis and does not copy a
 > whole directory tree recursively. The remote site does not offer
 > sftp/sshd for that purpose.
 >
 > Is there a simple way to perform such a task with FreeBSD's own tools (I
 > try to avoid installing 'wget' and sibblings)? I need to keep it simple,
 > task should be performed via cronjob.

I'm afraid you can't do that with FreeBSD base tools.

An alternative to wget would be "omi" (ports/ftp/omi)
which is a simple FTP mirroring tool, written in C
without any dependencies.  Usage is simple:

$ omi -s server.name.com -r /remote/dir -l ./local/dir

Note that, by default, it tries to synchronize the local
dir perfectly, i.e. if the remote dir is empty, it will
wipe out the local dir.  (The option "-P 0" will prevent
omi from removing anything.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"That's what I love about GUIs: They make simple tasks easier,
and complex tasks impossible."
        -- John William Chambless