which gray is best for print?

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Sat Sep 6 13:12:18 UTC 2008

> On Sep 3, 2008, at 7:14 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
>> This is for any webmaster types:  which color gray (in hex,
>> "#xxxxxx")
>> is best for a site that has probably very long articles?  I've
>> googled
>> around and found various grays such as "#696969" or "#708090", but I
>> haven't found anything that really fits what I want.  URL, anybody?
>> Or if there is a color-chooser in ports, that too, altho I haven't
>> found
>> anything in ports/x11 or ports/www.

Black on white is best for readability. No question about that. See
various usability studies by Jakob Nielsen & others.

Dark blue on white (very dark blue) is not as good, but better than
the other alternatives.

No reason to choose any other combination, unless you choose to go
with 'style' over usability. But since you specifically asked about
long blocks of text, I'd guess usability is at the top of your agenda.

No need to use web safe colors anymore, in my opinion. Hardly anyone
uses 256 color cards at this stage of the game. Again, see the many
studies of hardware usage, or your own web logs.

I'm reading this email with black on white, and you probably are too.
There's a good reason for that, I think!

>> To prevent boredom, two shades of deep gray or blue-gray would be
>> besy.

I may be wrong, but no one ever read a long block of text because of
the color of the font. A better way to prevent boredom is to write
interesting text!

Just my two cents.

-- John

> tia,
>
> gary
>

> --
>  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public
> Service Unix
>         http://jottings.thought.org   http://transfinite.thought.org

Websites for On-line Collectible Dealers
Identry, LLC
John Almberg
(631) 546-5079
jalmberg at identry.com