FreeBSD 7.0 nvidia-driver woes

Martyn Hare martyn.hare at dephnet.com
Thu Mar 27 16:30:52 PDT 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008 16:38:20 Darren Spruell wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Derek Ragona
>
> <derek at computinginnovations.com> wrote:
> >  Is it worthwhile to contact NVidia with bug reports? Does the FreeBSD
> >  community amount to much of a blip on their radar? Do we have a direct
> >  liaison in the community?
> >  Never hurts to file a bug report.  It seems to be in the nvidia older
> > driver, I've not heard of the problem with the driver for the current
> > cards.
>
> Four days ago I emailed a problem report to
> freebsd-gfx-bugs at nvidia.com. I haven't heard a peep back. The NVIDIA
> support site is structured about like this:
>
> - If your NVIDIA card shipped with the computer direct from the OEM
> manufacturer, it's not our problem. Contact [Dell,HP,Compaq,etc] for
> resolution.
> - If your NVIDIA card was purchased retail, it's not our problem.
> Contact the card manufacturer [Gigabyte,MSI,etc.] for assistance.
>
> Does anyone know a contact in NVIDIA that would have any concern over
> (driver, etc.) issues like this?

Go to nvnews.net and moan a _lot_, NVIDIA staff notice things when people
moan. Zander is an NVIDIA staffer and FreeBSD-lover on there he will likely
help, he's very polite and seems to care for users and keep people reasonably
up to date on things where he's allowed to.

Hope this helps,

Martyn Hare