problem with dovecot and mysql at boot

Nicolas Letellier nicolas at nicoelro.net
Mon Jun 16 13:35:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:08:40 +0300
Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nicolas Letellier wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > In my rc.conf, I have:
> > dovecot_enable="YES"
> > mysql_enable="YES"
> >
> > At boot, I have this error:
> > Jun 16 12:34:16 trinite dovecot: auth-worker(default): mysql: Connect failed to localhost (panel): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) - waiting for 1 seconds before retry
> >
> > I think it's because mysql is started after dovecot. How resolve this, and specify to launch dovecot after mysql is running?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >

> Are you sure this is what's happening? I have mysql and dovecot, and
> dovecot starts after mysql in my system.
> Try something like
>
> rcorder /etc/rc.d/*   /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*
>
> or
>
> dmesg -a |more
>
> to see the startup order. Do you actually have to start it by hand after
> boot, or does it really start on the retry?
Ok, the problem is due to my my.cnf. However, I cannot explain which value of this file causes this problem. I deleted it, and after reboot, the probleme has disapeared. I re-cp it, and reboot, and the problem was not here. I think sometimes, and with my.cnf options, mysql is too slow to be launched, and then, dovecot and others applications could have a problem.

So, I cannot explain this problem. On the other hand, it was not -big- problem, just a warning.
--
 -Nicolas.