problem with dovecot and mysql at boot

Johan Hendriks Johan at double-l.nl
Mon Jun 16 13:59:21 UTC 2008

>> Nicolas Letellier wrote:
>> > Hello.
>> >
>> > In my rc.conf, I have:
>> > dovecot_enable="YES"
>> > mysql_enable="YES"
>> >
>> > At boot, I have this error:
>> > Jun 16 12:34:16 trinite dovecot: auth-worker(default): mysql:
Connect failed to localhost (panel): Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) - waiting for 1 seconds before
retry

>> > I think it's because mysql is started after dovecot. How resolve
this, and specify to launch dovecot after mysql is running?

>> > Best regards,
>> >

>> Are you sure this is what's happening? I have mysql and dovecot, and
>> dovecot starts after mysql in my system.
>> Try something like
>>
>> rcorder /etc/rc.d/*   /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*
>>
>> or
>>
>> dmesg -a |more
>>
>> to see the startup order. Do you actually have to start it by hand
after
>> boot, or does it really start on the retry?
>Ok, the problem is due to my my.cnf. However, I cannot explain which
value >of this file causes this problem. I deleted it, and after reboot,
the >probleme has disapeared. I re-cp it, and reboot, and the problem
was not >here. I think sometimes, and with my.cnf options, mysql is too
slow to be >launched, and then, dovecot and others applications could
have a problem.

>So, I cannot explain this problem. On the other hand, it was not -big-
>problem, just a warning.

Does you're my.cnf file contains an entry that needs to be resolved by
dns and if so can it be resolved!
Maybe named is not started before mysql.
Try setting that entry in /etc/hosts.

Regards,
Johan