Is FreeBSD suitable for my thinkpad T61 ?

fdu.xiaojf at gmail.com fdu.xiaojf at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 13:22:32 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I brought a new ThinkPad T61 for work, the hardware is as follows:

T7300(2GHz), 2GB RAM, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 15.4in 1680x1050 LCD, 128MB nVIDIA
Quadro NVS 140M, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn(n-disabled), Bluetooth, Modem,
1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip, Intel Turbo, 9c Li-Ion,

My current working involves scientific calculation and programming. I'm from a
linux background(redhat, debian, ubuntu), but after some googling and
comparison, I found FreeBSD more stable and I want to try FreeBSD.  I am tired
of a dual-boot system, so I want to just install FreeBSD or another linux
distribution(maybe ubuntu) on my notebook.

My questions are:
1) Can FreeBSD work well with my hardware? The display card, CDRW/DVDRW,
wireless, Ethernet and battery managment are the most important.

2) I have read the FreeBSD Handbook. According to Chapter 10: Linux Binary
Compatibility, it seems that FreeBSD lacks support of many commercial
softwares such as MATLAB, Oracle, Mathematica. Is the linux binary
compatibility stable enough for work ?

Thanks a lot.