Is FreeBSD suitable for my thinkpad T61 ?

dfeustel at mindspring.com dfeustel at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 11 14:29:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 08:50:36PM +0800, fdu.xiaojf at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I brought a new ThinkPad T61 for work, the hardware is as follows:
>
> T7300(2GHz), 2GB RAM, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 15.4in 1680x1050 LCD, 128MB nVIDIA
> Quadro NVS 140M, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn(n-disabled), Bluetooth, Modem,
> 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip, Intel Turbo, 9c Li-Ion,
>
> My current working involves scientific calculation and programming. I'm
> from a linux background(redhat, debian, ubuntu), but after some googling
> and comparison, I found FreeBSD more stable and I want to try FreeBSD.  I
> am tired of a dual-boot system, so I want to just install FreeBSD or
> another linux distribution(maybe ubuntu) on my notebook.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Can FreeBSD work well with my hardware? The display card, CDRW/DVDRW,
> wireless, Ethernet and battery managment are the most important.
>
> 2) I have read the FreeBSD Handbook. According to Chapter 10: Linux Binary
> Compatibility, it seems that FreeBSD lacks support of many commercial
> softwares such as MATLAB, Oracle, Mathematica. Is the linux binary
> compatibility stable enough for work ?
>
> Thanks a lot.

If FreeBSD runs on your new T61, you can install the Maxima port as a free
alternative to MATLAB and Mathematica. Maxima does symbolic math
and handles tensors. You can run Maxima code that proves that Einstein's
theory of relativity has a far-reaching logical inconsistancy in it
because the theory assumes torsion = 0 and curvature is nonzero.
Non-zero curvature implies torsion also is non-zero.
See the code in paper 93 at
http://www.aias.us/index.php?goto=showPageByTitle&pageTitle=Unified_Field_Theory_papers