sendmail: stat=Deferred: Can't assign requested address

jonathan michaels jlm at caamora.com.au
Mon Jun 23 22:12:35 UTC 2008

greetings derek and fellow list users

thank you for your help in this sendmail matter, i recieved my
forst crontab generated overnight (daily and security) system
maintenance reports in a long long time, best part of a year.

your kindness and persistance is muchly appreciated.

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 05:15:56PM -0500, Derek Ragona wrote:
> At 10:16 PM 6/12/2008, jonathan michaels wrote:
> >greetings, derek,
> >
> >much appreciated the prompt reply
> >
> >On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:43:42PM -0500, Derek Ragona wrote:
> > > At 06:36 AM 6/11/2008, jonathan michaels wrote:
> >
> >bit of history trimed for brevity

apart frpm some neurological disabilities that i was born with
a lot of tireness and frustratin mixed with sideffects from
medicines that i need to take to help my body function in teh
face of life long disabilities combined to to help me miss some
quite simple errors that when all combined .. draged this
matter out far far longer than it need have been.

in teh long run it turned out to be a poorly written
'etc/rc.conf' file and a posible freebsd oddity .. i am not
sure about that one but now my system is working as all teh
rest (other 4 in my local network) so i'm not arguing .. again
thanks for all teh help guys, very much appreciated.

the two main things were missing a lot of " marks around most
of teh lines to do with the local networking entries and a few
that were just misssing, mainly because of assumtions that teh
default entries in the /etc/default/rc.conf file would take
care of teh system as a whole ?? in my hosts case they did not
and i need to explicityly have them stated in teh /etc/rc.conf
file before my system would pick tehm up and connect this
machine to teh local network and then to forward packets onto
teh far greater outside world.

explicitly, all teh freebsd v6.2-release machines in my local
network need, these lines added (be included in there
/etc/re.conf file before local netoworking will function and
sendmail will work properly with freebsd v6.2-release

my host has a intel pci 10/100 mhz nic

ifconfig_fxp0="inet ip.ad.ress.6 netmask 255.255.255.240"
ifconfig_lo0=" inet 127.0.0.1"

both of these entries need to be included before neworking will
function properly

#ipv4_addrs_fxp0="ip.add.re.ss/24"

this ipv4_addrs.. entry i do not understand ?? what its purpose
or function is .. after 4 hours of typing starting at scree and
constant rebooting i was not game to try it incase it broke
somthing that i didn't not understand.

now this following entry

#network_interfaces="auto"

in my system/configuration this line, jut plain dosen't work
and i need to use this entry (with relevent changes for teh
other machines nic's)

network_interfaces="fxp0 lo0"

before networking will function properly (locally) or even have
stable intranetwork connectivity.

prior to starting to use freebsd v6.2-release my entire bsd
experience was based upon freebsd upto and including freebsd
v2.2.7-release and some same vintage linux and "interactive
unix v?.??" and qnx .. freebsd v6.2 was a real learning curve
for me .. still is, largely... but i'm getting there .. muchly
appreciated

again, sorry for teh length, perhaps this might help some other
tired/frustrated person who stumbles across this post after
much much frutless effort at getting thier stubornly refuing to
function netowrk, take care all and very much thanks for your
most kind help support and effort !!!

much most gracious appreciations

jonathan