Openvpn on FreeBSD 7

Andrew Berry andrewberry at sentex.net
Tue Jun 10 03:45:16 UTC 2008

On 9-Jun-08, at 3:49 PM, Nejc Škoberne wrote:

> I do. I don't use bridging, though. Do you have a good reason to use
> it?

I was using it because I could then assign my laptop the same IP
easily through my router (a separate device with DHCP) and also have
hostnames pushed through DHCP. But I imagine in my case I could do the
same thing with a tunnel.

> Have you tried to tcpdump the interfaces?

Yes, I did: 'tcpdump -i tun0'. Nothing shows up on the server, but on
the client (OS X) I can see the pings being sent.

> How did you configure the bridge?

Here is my current config: It's no longer doing bridging though.

openvpn.conf:

port 1194
proto tcp
dev tun
ca ca.crt
cert server.crt
dh dh1024.pem
server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0
ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt
keepalive 10 120
comp-lzo
persist-key
persist-tun
status openvpn-status.log
verb 3

And on my client:

tls-client
dev tun
ca ca.crt
cert client1.crt
key client1.key
remote my-remote-host
proto tcp-client
port 1194
comp-lzo
ping 15
ping-restart 45
ping-timer-rem
persist-tun
persist-key
verb 3

I then ifconfig'ed the tun0 interface to be 10.8.0.2 => 10.8.0.1.

Thanks!
--Andrew