[ free_bsd_questions ] selecting a cpu heatsink / fan combo

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Tue Aug 26 13:51:40 UTC 2008

spellberg_robert wrote:
> greetings, all ---
>
> this isn't exactly a free_bsd question, --but--,
>   since free_bsd is popular w/ the i386 crowd and
>   there are many rugged individualists on these lists
>   who like to "roll their own",
>   i figure i'll get way less hyperbole and
>   more practical experience here,
>   than at some of the places i've visited today.
>

> i had always been able to find the cpu / heatsink / fan as a sub_assembly,
>   so, i didn't have to deal with this issue.
> i'm making some new boxen to replace
>   some 800mhz_p3, 256mb units which will be re_assigned.
> i found a mobo i like; d_ram just keeps getting cheaper; etc., etc.
> i even found a processor that appeals to me, but, it's oem.
> it's the p4 "641" which is 3200 mhz, 65 nm, 775 case.
> the mobo maxes out at 2048mb, which is just fine.
> these are probably the last single_"core" boxen that i will build.
>

> now, back in the day, i had acquired the skill of using my index finger to
>   properly apply that white_stuff, from the good folks at wakefield,
>   to the tops of uhf pa transistors, from the good folks at motorola.
> no, this isn't a case of fear.
>
> it's that i don't recognize so many of the manufacturers names.
> some look familiar, but they might just be
>   similar to something i remember from long ago.
>
> q:  would anyone care to wax rhapsodic
>       about any manufacturer
>       with whose heatsink / fan combo product[s]
>       they have had good success ?

OK, I will.  I got taught, in extremely clear fashion, about the direct linkage
between keeping the temperatures low and even, and the ultimate reliability of
your system.  I won't go into the war story, but most everyone knows this is
true, anyhow.  I won't go into the fan either, because it's my personal opinion
that there are a large selection of good fans.  The item I want to extoll is the
Ultimate 120 heatsink from Thermalright.  Huge heatsink, and the 120mm fan that
you get separately mounts on the _side_, not the top, like you might be used to.
 One look at this, at the great engineering ... well you might possibly find
something else as good, but I bet you'd not be able to find anything better.
Get that installed, and you can be really certain you didn't short on the CPU
cooling.