Video streaming with freeBSD

Sam Fourman Jr. sfourman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 00:22:46 UTC 2008

> If the main purpose of your box is to be a PVR, I suggest going with a Linux
> distribution and using MythTV (http://www.mythtv.org).  While I am a fan of
> FreeBSD as a web/mail/etc. server, it did not meet my needs when attempting
> to build a PVR.  I found the Gentoo Linux distribution most comfortable for
> me because it uses a "portage" system similar to the "ports" system of
> FreeBSD.  Others I tried were package based and didn't always support my
> hardware.

I would like to try and put together the most functional FreeBSD based PVR
system possible, even if it does have less functionality than it's
Linux counterpart.

does anyone have a recipe for a working FreeBSD based PVR?
if not post Ideas for software / configurations / Hardware, and I will
l make a web page
out of it.

Sam Fourman Jr.