Hangup on USB mass device

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue Apr 22 16:41:14 UTC 2008

--On Tuesday, April 22, 2008 15:42:47 +0000 Sébastien Morand
<seb.morand at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for the answer, I'm sorry for the little information I send.
>
> FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE kernel GENERIC on i386.
> I don't see anything in the message, but I'm not sure where to look at
> for crashdump.
>
> My computer is either hanging up for ever, I can't move mouse or use
> keyboard anymore, juste reset, or hang up a few seconds and reboot by
> it self.

Please don't top post.

I too am having a problem with umass on 7.0-STABLE.  Not quite the same as
yours, but similar.  During reboots, the umass device cases the kernel to core
dump and the system reboots.  If I unplug the drive and wait for the system to
come up to a login prompt, I can login, plug in the drive, watch it's detection
and then mount it with no problem.

Dont' know what the problem is, but other problems with umass have been
reported on the STABLE list as well.  I've recompiled my kernel six times now.
The umass device has gone from unmountable to stable in the OS but still fails
during boot.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst