Hangup on USB mass device

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Tue Apr 22 17:39:53 UTC 2008

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Tuesday, April 22, 2008 15:42:47 +0000 Sébastien Morand
> <seb.morand at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> thanks for the answer, I'm sorry for the little information I send.
>>
>> FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE kernel GENERIC on i386.
>> I don't see anything in the message, but I'm not sure where to look at
>> for crashdump.
>>
>> My computer is either hanging up for ever, I can't move mouse or use
>> keyboard anymore, juste reset, or hang up a few seconds and reboot by
>> it self.
>>

> Please don't top post.
>
> I too am having a problem with umass on 7.0-STABLE.  Not quite the same
> as yours, but similar.  During reboots, the umass device cases the
> kernel to core dump and the system reboots.  If I unplug the drive and
> wait for the system to come up to a login prompt, I can login, plug in
> the drive, watch it's detection and then mount it with no problem.
>
> Dont' know what the problem is, but other problems with umass have been
> reported on the STABLE list as well.  I've recompiled my kernel six
> times now. The umass device has gone from unmountable to stable in the
> OS but still fails during boot.

Aloha,
FWIW:

I have had several FreeBSD boxes from 4.11 to 7* that wont boot with the
usb device in the slot, but work just fine if you boot first than insert
the usb device. In my case the device is a flash/thumb drive for backing
up files.

I never figured out why so I just leave them unpluged during a reboot.

Maybe it tries to boot from the usb drive which is not bootable so it
just hangs in my case.

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* - 8.* +
   < email: noc at hdk5.net >