FreeBSD 7.0 not executing /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ at startup

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Sat Apr 19 14:40:12 UTC 2008

Marco Beishuizen wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 17:20:36 +0300
> Manolis Kiagias <sonicy at otenet.gr> wrote:
>

>> securelevel -1 is fine. This is the default:
>> quote from init(8):
>>
>>  -1    Permanently insecure mode - always run the system in level 0
>> mode. This is the default initial value.
>>
>> Your problem lies elsewhere. I've looked at your rc.conf, and I can't
>> really say I can see anything except this:
>>
>> accf_http_load="YES"
>>
>> which should be in /boot/loader.conf (?)
>> You have a lot of stuff, I would suggest you comment out most of them
>> and put them back in one by one.
>>

> There wasn't this much stuff before, but after upgrading to 7.0 I got a
> lot of boot messages saying that xxxx_enable "is not set properly". So
> then I had to insert all those statements xxxx_enable="NO". After that
> all those messages went away.

Ah!!! It just clicked! You got a lot of _enable="NO"
This is rather unusual - you usually override something from
/etc/defaults/rc.conf with a "YES"

Your /etc/defaults/rc.conf has missing entries. It probably was not
upgraded properly (during the mergemaster phase?)

For example, /etc/defaults/rc.conf normally has this:

zfs_enable="NO"         # Set to YES to automatically mount ZFS file systems

but yours doesn't, that's why you had to put it in /etc/rc.conf by hand.

I suggest you try with an /etc/defaults/rc.conf from the installation
media (I can send you mine if you wish)