Mail Spool Problems / IMAP

Chris Maness chris at chrismaness.com
Tue Apr 8 20:29:14 UTC 2008

> On Tuesday 08 April 2008 21:32:45 Jerry McAllister wrote:

>>> It does seem like something something is corrupt.  What can I do to reset
>>> everything and restore everything so that thunderbird can read my inbox
>>> again.  I have contempalted deleting the user, but I'm not sure if that
>>> will delete what ever is corrupted.
>>
>> Very often it is only one character out of place.   Each header should
>> start with  'From' in the beginning of a line
>
> Since you mention one character, it should actually be starting with 'From '
> and any line that starts with 'From ' that is not the start of a mail should
> be changed to '>From ' before ending up in the mbox file.
>
> This test weeds it out, allthough there's still room for false positives,
> easily resolved by the human brain:
> grep '^From ' /var/mail/myloginname |grep -v '200[78]$'
> --
> Mel
>
> Problem with today's modular software: they start with the modules
>    and never get to the software part.

Actually, the mail that is in /var/mail/chris gets moved to
/home/chris/mbox

Before it gets moved, it does not have this placeholder header.  It only
has the headers of e-mail sent since the last time mail was checked and
moved to the mbox file.

Also, none of headers in the mbox have the chicken lips ">" not even the
first one that I posted.

Wouldn't these issues be rectified if I deleted the mbox file and started
from scratch?