Mail Spool Problems / IMAP

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Tue Apr 8 19:57:54 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 21:32:45 Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:42:41AM -0700, Chris Maness wrote:
> > >
> > >That seems to be fine.  If it was corrupted, you'd see a line or a few
> > >lines of obvious binary garbage...
> > >
> > >--
> > >-Chuck
> >
> > It does seem like something something is corrupt.  What can I do to reset
> > everything and restore everything so that thunderbird can read my inbox
> > again.  I have contempalted deleting the user, but I'm not sure if that
> > will delete what ever is corrupted.
>
> Very often it is only one character out of place.   Each header should
> start with  'From' in the beginning of a line

Since you mention one character, it should actually be starting with 'From '
and any line that starts with 'From ' that is not the start of a mail should
be changed to '>From ' before ending up in the mbox file.

This test weeds it out, allthough there's still room for false positives,
easily resolved by the human brain:
grep '^From ' /var/mail/myloginname |grep -v '200[78]$'
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.