Mail Spool Problems / IMAP

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Apr 8 00:46:37 UTC 2008

Hi, Chris--

On Apr 7, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Chris Maness wrote:
> I am having trouble with my imap account on my FreeBSD box.  I am
> using WU-IMAP, and thuderbird.  I have been using this combo for
> years, and not had any issues.  Now, my thuderbird is not displaying
> messages in the inbox.  I can see them with pine, but not with IMAP
> clients. (squirrelmail, thunderbird).  Pine complains about sequence
> error when I send a message.  I was able to get it to work for a bit
> by deleteing the mbox file in my home directory, but now it is not
> working again.  IS there a database or something somewhere that
> needs to be rebult?

Can you double-check your mbox file?

With the most recent 2007 version of UW-IMAP, I've seen intermittent
corruption of the first line of a mbox file (ie, the "From foo"
header) which causes the mbox to be unreadable by most clients until
it is fixed by hand.  It seems to be correlated with simultaneous
write access by people who have a normal MUA and a second device like
a smartphone (iPhone/Treo/BB).

I've seen just over a half-dozen of these since Jan...

--
-Vhuvk