who wrote this

Erik Osterholm freebsd-lists-erik at erikosterholm.org
Sun Nov 25 16:58:56 PST 2007

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 05:53:54PM -0600, eBoundHost: Artur wrote:
> I would appreciate if someone would help me find the person who can
> help to
> modify the text on this page.
> http://www.freebsd.org/internal/fortunes.html
> I think it can be worded differently and get the point accross
> without
> giving any extra attention to this monster.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Artur

Do I understand correctly that you are not concerned so much with the
inclusion of quotes by Adolf Hitler, but you don't like the way the
web page is presented?

If that's the case, my argument for maintaining the current state of
the webpage is that it's going to become a repeated issue.  Without
the notice that Hitler quotes are not automatically considered
offensive, a lot of people will probably see a non-offensive Hitler
quote and argue that it should be moved to the offensive file simply
due to the attribution.

Put another way, the quote "What luck for the rulers that men do not
think." is not considered offensive.  Merely adding the attribution,
then, should not cause it to be moved to the "offensive" file.  That
said, people have argued in the past that it should be, simply because
Hitler is in the text.  Putting the notice on the webpage at
http://www.freebsd.org/internal/fortunes.html is a public expression
that the speaker of the quote is not to be the basis for categorizing
the quote as offensive.

Erik