mysql install Q

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Nov 20 19:40:03 PST 2007

jekillen wrote:
> Hello;
> The following is what I get when I do mysql_install_db.
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libcrypt.so.2" not found, required
> by "my_print_defaults"
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libcrypt.so.2" not found, required
> by "my_print_defaults"
> (yes, the same message twice)
> I looked in ports for crypt but I do not know what exactly to look for
> to satisfy this complaint.
> In addition I got the following complaint:
> Neither host '<this_host.domain.tld>' nor 'localhost' could be looked up
> with
> ./bin/resolveip
> Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname.
> If you want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script with
> the --force option
> This is strange because this is also secondary dns server for the domain.
>
> I looked in ports at what is available for mysql and there are a number of
> listings for various versions. For a particular version there appear to be
> three separate directories, client, server, and scripts.  I am a little
> confused
> as to what all to build and install. Now that I have gotten a handle on
> using
> ports, I am doing it that way instead of my initial approach, get the
> tarballs
> unzip, configure, make and make install (and hope for the best). This
> happens
> to be one of those, accept it is a prebuilt binary package.
> mysql-max-5.0.18-freebsd5.3-i386 (hmmm...5.3....?...)

> I will try to remove every thing it installed and got to ports if I can
> not solve
> the immediate problems.

Sounds a good idea.  If you have an up-to-date ports tree and then
install /usr/ports/databases/mysql50-server, you should get a current
version of MySQL 5.0 (although 5.1 is out now), and you you will also
get the client as a dependency, so you can run your server and talk
to it as well.

As for the problem above, the current libcrypt.so is linked to
libcrypt.so.3, so your tarball is too old for your current
system.  Use ports instead ;-)

And, finally, what does `hostname` return on your system?

Kevin Kinsey
--
I refuse to consign the whole male sex to the nursery.  I insist on
believing that some men are my equals.