mysql install Q

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Tue Nov 20 17:11:35 PST 2007

Hello;
The following is what I get when I do mysql_install_db.
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libcrypt.so.2" not found, required
by "my_print_defaults"
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libcrypt.so.2" not found, required
by "my_print_defaults"
(yes, the same message twice)
I looked in ports for crypt but I do not know what exactly to look for
to satisfy this complaint.
In addition I got the following complaint:
Neither host '<this_host.domain.tld>' nor 'localhost' could be looked
up with
./bin/resolveip
Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname.
If you want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script with
the --force option
This is strange because this is also secondary dns server for the
domain.

I looked in ports at what is available for mysql and there are a number
of
listings for various versions. For a particular version there appear to
be
three separate directories, client, server, and scripts.  I am a little
confused
as to what all to build and install. Now that I have gotten a handle on
using
ports, I am doing it that way instead of my initial approach, get the
tarballs
unzip, configure, make and make install (and hope for the best). This
happens
to be one of those, accept it is a prebuilt binary package.
mysql-max-5.0.18-freebsd5.3-i386 (hmmm...5.3....?...)
I will try to remove every thing it installed and got to ports if I can
not solve
the immediate problems.

Any advice, suggestions, data appreciated.
Thank you
Jeff k