About Freebsd 7.0 versus 6.3

Albert Shih Albert.Shih at obspm.fr
Fri Nov 9 02:52:59 PST 2007

 Le 09/11/2007 à 06:12:48+0100, Roland Smith a écrit
> On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 11:14:13PM +0100, Albert Shih wrote:
> > Be careful if you not using standard shell because....if you using a shell
> > come from ports....
>
> Root should _never_ use a shell from ports. You can use the 'toor'
> account for that.

I known but that's never so simple.....

I do the other, I active toor account with standard shell.

> > Well....what's the difference between what you say and make a new
> > installation ?
>
> If you re-install, you're stuck with a GENERIC kernel, unless you
> recompile that afterwards which is extra work.

Well that's cost is not more than you make buildkernel ...on compilation.

> I would go for a new install if I wanted to change the relative sizes of
> my partitions. Otherwise I'd stick with the source upgrade, because it
> is not as much work IMHO.

I agree but, do

	cp /usr/local/etc /safe_place
	cp /etc/ 	  /safe_place

	make a re-install with format disk

is not as much work too ;-)

And with that I can sure I don't have some old thing (event now we have
make delete-olds).

But I agree with you : Every sys-admin have his own habit.... ;-)

Regards.

--
Albert SHIH
Observatoire de Paris Meudon