About Freebsd 7.0 versus 6.3

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Nov 9 02:24:19 PST 2007

Albert Shih wrote:
>  Le 08/11/2007 à 19:32:39+0100, Roland Smith a écrit
>
>> On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 02:48:47PM -0300, Mario Lobo wrote:
>>

>>> Concerning this, I've "cvsuping" to 6-CURRENT on a dual-core desktop. The
>>> system is running well, but I'd really like to move up to 7. Can it be done
>>> through cvsup from 6.2-STABLE to 7-CURRENT or is it "wiser" to install from
>>> scratch? any upgrade gotchas/procedure ?
>>>
>> It _can_ be done. (I've done it).
>>
>> First, make a list of all your ports (portmaster -L works fine for
>> that). Then csup to RELENG_7. Then follow the instructions from
>> /usr/src/Makefile (the bit about 'upgrade their source'). I've outlined
>> the process below, with my own additions marked with lowercase letters
>>

>>  a.  Make backups
>>  b.  Read /usr/src/UPDATING
>>  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
>>  2.  `make buildworld'
>>  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
>>  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
>>       [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
>>  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
>>  6.  `mergemaster -p'
>>  7.  `make installworld'
>>  8.  `make delete-old'
>>  9.  `mergemaster'
>> 10.  `reboot'
>>  c. `pkg_delete -a' (delete all your ports)
>>

> Be careful if you not using standard shell because....if you using a shell
> come from ports....
>

>> 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymore)
>>  d.  Reinstall all root and leaf ports. Dependencies will then be
>>      installed automatically.
>>

> Well....what's the difference between what you say and make a new
> installation ?
>
> I've do this sometime ago because I don't have 7.0-Beta CD-rom, and I've
> install a 6.2 and make what you say...but for me rebuild all ports it's
> same thing to make a new-installation.
>

> Regards.
>

> --
> Albert SHIH
> Observatoire de Paris Meudon
> SIO batiment 15
> Heure local/Local time:
> Jeu 8 nov 2007 23:11:56 CET

Basically, that's the gist of what you need to do (what Roland said).
The reason being that all of your software is dynamically linked vs old
6.x libs and you'll need to upgrade that functionality in order to
access true 7.x use. Sure, you can run things linked against 6.x (for a
period of time), but it'll result in really fubar'ed userland and ports
apps.

Pros of clean install:
- Virgin clean system.
- Don't have to rebuild ports and base system + kernel.

Cons:
- Have to take down the box while the install's going, plus any time
spent on the upgrade process.
- Have to backup data.

Pros of in-place upgrade:
- Data is kept as-is.
- If planned properly, box downtime is minimized.

Cons:
- Can have orphan files laying around from old [ports/base] installs.
- Time, time, time (assuming your system is slow / heavily loaded)..

HTH,
-Garrett