About Freebsd 7.0 versus 6.3

Chris chrcoluk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 10:34:28 PST 2007

On 08/11/2007, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 02:48:47PM -0300, Mario Lobo wrote:
>
> > Concerning this, I've "cvsuping" to 6-CURRENT on a dual-core desktop. The
> > system is running well, but I'd really like to move up to 7. Can it be done
> > through cvsup from 6.2-STABLE to 7-CURRENT or is it "wiser" to install from
> > scratch? any upgrade gotchas/procedure ?
>
> It _can_ be done. (I've done it).
>
> First, make a list of all your ports (portmaster -L works fine for
> that). Then csup to RELENG_7. Then follow the instructions from
> /usr/src/Makefile (the bit about 'upgrade their source'). I've outlined
> the process below, with my own additions marked with lowercase letters
>

>  a.  Make backups
>  b.  Read /usr/src/UPDATING
>  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
>  2.  `make buildworld'
>  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
>  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
>      [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
>  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
>  6.  `mergemaster -p'
>  7.  `make installworld'
>  8.  `make delete-old'
>  9.  `mergemaster'
> 10.  `reboot'
>  c. `pkg_delete -a' (delete all your ports)
> 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymore)
>  d.  Reinstall all root and leaf ports. Dependencies will then be
>     installed automatically.
>
> Roland
> --
> R.F.Smith                                   http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/
> [plain text _non-HTML_ PGP/GnuPG encrypted/signed email much appreciated]
> pgp: 1A2B 477F 9970 BA3C 2914  B7CE 1277 EFB0 C321 A725 (KeyID: C321A725)

Interesting so I learnt 2 things here csup exists so no need to
install cvsup and I should run 'make delete-old-libs' .  Basically I
have done the following.

1 - upgraded world and kernel, mergemaster etc.
2 - reinstalled all ports portupgrade -af
3 - installed compat6x

I have not ran 'make delete-old-libs'

I thought the old libs were removed because after I booted up into the
7.0 world alot of ports didnt work as libs they linked to were missing
so had to be recompiled anyway to even run.

Do I run 'make delete-old-libs'  in /usr/src ?

Chris