About Freebsd 7.0 versus 6.3

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 8 21:12:57 PST 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 11:14:13PM +0100, Albert Shih wrote:
> Be careful if you not using standard shell because....if you using a shell
> come from ports....

Root should _never_ use a shell from ports. You can use the 'toor'
account for that.

> > 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymore)
> >  d.  Reinstall all root and leaf ports. Dependencies will then be
> >      installed automatically.
>
> Well....what's the difference between what you say and make a new
> installation ?

If you re-install, you're stuck with a GENERIC kernel, unless you
recompile that afterwards which is extra work.

> I've do this sometime ago because I don't have 7.0-Beta CD-rom, and I've
> install a 6.2 and make what you say...but for me rebuild all ports it's
> same thing to make a new-installation.

After a major version update you'll have to rebuild all ports
anyway. But it seems that portupgrade is up to the task as well.

I would go for a new install if I wanted to change the relative sizes of
my partitions. Otherwise I'd stick with the source upgrade, because it
is not as much work IMHO.

Roland