How can I use the Windows loader to boot FreeBSD

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Nov 8 08:01:37 PST 2007

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 03:19:38PM -0800, Alou Dialy wrote:

> I read this FAQ but I am still confused. How does it
> work if you have windows on ad0 and freebsd on ad1.

You put a copy of the FreeBSD MBR on both disks.
The BIOS will start the first one it sees.  Then, if it is
the FreeBSD MBR, it will look and see if there is a second
bootable disk and give you a choice of booting what is on
the first disk or going to the second disk.  If it goes to
the second disk, that MBR will give you a choice of booting
what is on that disk (and I think, going back to the first one).

////jerry