How can I use the Windows loader to boot FreeBSD

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Nov 7 17:49:55 PST 2007

On 2007-11-07 15:19, Alou Dialy <aloudialy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I read this FAQ but I am still confused. How does it
> work if you have windows on ad0 and freebsd on ad1.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NT-BOOTLOADER

AFAICT, the 'explicit' list of steps missing from the FAQ is:

  1. Run boot0cfg from FreeBSD:

	# boot0cfg -B /dev/ad1

  2. Copy the MBR of the ad1 disk to a file:

	# dd if=/dev/ad1 of=bootsect.bsd bs=512 count=1

  3. Save this file to a floppy disk, or some other Windows-accessible
     place.  Using a floppy-disk, formatted as FAT, this could be done
     by typing:

	# mount -t msdosfs /dev/fd0 /mnt/dos
	# cp bootsect.bsd /mnt/dos
	# umount /mnt/dos

  4. Boot into Windows and copy the file A:\BOOTSECT.BSD to C:\

  5. Continue as described in the FAQ :)