/etc problems when upgrading to FBSD 6.2

Zbigniew Szalbot zbyszek at szalbot.homedns.org
Mon Jan 22 18:14:37 UTC 2007

Hello,

Today I have tried to upgrade my FBSD 6.1-stable release to 6.2. All went
well up to the point when I had to use mergemaster -cv.

It was my first encounter with mergemaster and I was a bit unsure what to
do with files in /etc. For some that I know I have not customized, I
pressed i for install, for some I pressed m, then <enter>, then q and i to
install the merged files (although - shame on me I was not aware what is
acutally being merged - it was a bit too technical and I was a bit too
scared :). With some files I pressed d.

Anyway, when I rebooted the machine, I found a lot of warnings like this:

source_rc_confs: not found
Entropy harvesting:/etc/rc: Warning: $harvest_interrupt is not set
properly - see rc.conf(5)
/etc/rc: Warning: &harvest_ethernet is not set properly - see rc.conf(5)

These warnings were numerous and all of them referred to /etc/rc.

The rc.conf file was not changed during the update process. But most
services (those listed in warnings) did not start. I had no connection
with the outside world and the machine was not pingable.

Fortunately, I had a backup of /etc so I moved /etc to /etc-bad, copied
the data from backup and rebooted. Everything worked well except the fact
that I was forced to boot in single user mode. And I could not change it.
It then turned out to be an error in /etc/rc.d/early.sh or a similar file.
When I copied it from /etc-bad, I was able to boot normally and enjoy the
system.

My question is what I messed up? Was this something during mergemaster
phase? If not, then what else could have gone wrong?

Many thanks for your advice and thanks for FBSD 6.2 :)!

Warm regards,

--
Zbigniew Szalbot