/etc problems when upgrading to FBSD 6.2

Christian Baer christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de
Mon Jan 22 19:21:47 UTC 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:15:24 +0100 (CET) Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

> My question is what I messed up? Was this something during mergemaster
> phase? If not, then what else could have gone wrong?

Yes, you probably messed up there.

Mergemaster shows you - I'll call them suggestions - for the config
files. Look at them and look at what the changes would be. '+' means
this line will be added, '-' means this line will be removed, using your
current config as reference.

Installing all the new config files without even looking at them can be
ugly. I didn't watch out once an lost groups, users and a few other
things. It is usually safe to just install the new versions of files
that you haven't changed, but look at those files that you have changed.

The 'm' stands for 'merge' which means you are presented both the old an
the new version. And for each line that is different you can choose
whether to stick to the old version or to adopt the new one. This way
you create a completely new file that is up to date while still
containing the changes you need for your system.

Regards
Chris